Before giving birth, I head from so many people, including my own mom that I should’nt get the epidural for different reasons. So I went into labor thinking I needed to endure the pain to prove I could do it.
I ended up getting the epidural, and honestly it helped me so much. It allowed me to relax, regain some strength, and ultimately helped me feel more capable of giving birth.
Looking back, i wish someone had simply told me “you don’t need to suffer to be a strong mom.”
Every birth is different, and every mom deserves to make the choice that feels right for her and her body.
I totally agree! I went into pregnancy thinking I could do it without an epidural. Then I needed to get induced, my bag needed to be broken, and I was having pain in my back and side because that is where the baby was facing. I got an epidural and I have no complaints. I said I was uncomfortable delivering on my back so they allowed me to flip over and deliver on my knees. It was so much better and easier.
I went through my whole pregnancy knowing I would get the epidural, the looks and comments I got were unreal,
I can endure a lot of pain and suffering I do it for my job all the time but with this I knew I didn’t have too if I didn’t want to and guess what I wanted my first birth to be as easy as possible and I don’t regret a second of my decision to do so! I wish there were more post like this.
If you want to go completely natural with no epidural that’s beautiful
If you want to get the epidural that’s also beautiful
Let’s normalize mothers making their own decisions for their own experience and journey
I remember hearing that too. I was like no, I’m not about pain. Give me that epidural, I’ll take my chances! I ended up having an emergency C-section, so it’s a good thing I did. You just never know what might happen
Sooooo many people have labored without it but it seems so impossible! Lol. I got it for all my delivered. My 3rd delivery thought I’d be tough and I failed and got it too late and I suffered this last delivery. My husband said please God just get it lol.
So glad you did what was best for you!! Pregnancy is ready so hard and labor is such an intense time! Everyone should be able to choose the coping mechanisms and care they want when going through it I’m the opposite… I avoided telling my family I was having a homebirth with my 1st because I was terrified of their reactions
oh my god i loved reading this my first birth was an emergency c-section since my baby was a 32-week preemie but with my second it was without an epidural and honestly it was a very rough experience
i delivered at a public hospital and even though i asked for the epidural the nurses treated me really poorly and told me i had to bear it without anesthesia because that made me stronger as if women have to suffer through pain by force i arrived at six centimeters of dilation and since the hospital was totally packed nobody helped me or paid attention to me despite having so much pain
sometimes we romanticize the idea that just because we are mothers we have to endure everything but i believe we deserve respect and to have our wishes validated even though at that time the adrenaline was so high that i didn’t even feel the contractions
to be honest what truly hurt me and i wouldn’t go through again was the recovery from my tubal ligation that really left me marked and damaged ever since but reading you made me reflect a lot on how things need to change so we can be heard
I agree, only down side is for some people the back pain hurts so bad from time to time and specially with the cold but hoping you have a good recovery